www.flickr.com

Friday 4 July 2008

Exploring Bhangra Dancing

I was quite upset by the amount of fat collecting on all the wrong places of my body due to my sedentary job. The lack of physical activity and excitement in my life made me join dance classes (obviously close to my office, so that I can go for my 5-6pm class n then head back to office. Plus there is no excuse for missing class. I forgot to go for one session though :P Now getting back to the topic... Why I joined dance classes? >> well I like music and I like dancing and I also like to keep fit.
Ahh, the dance class has quite a few kids and teenagers (unfortunately I do not fall into either of the segments now, but 20's isn't that bad, right?), who like the hindi/bollywood genre. So now we have finalised the song. No, I dnt know the name of the track or the artist, which is something that I find absolutely no pride in admitting. But I am assuming you know what the music is (psst...if not, it's in the title)

Not like I don't like Indian Music. I mean I am Indian n I have great respect for Indian music and anything Indian for that matter, but commercial music is something that I am not too fond of. Although I don't mind it.

Now the thing is that when I dance to a certain track, it is either the lyrics or the unique beats that make my body groove. Now the challenge with this Bhangra Dance thing is that I can't understand the lyrics too well and the beats sound the same. So I don't really know when, what begins, by the feel of the music. As ardent lover of music, dance and almost any form of art, I really wish that I can soon feel the music. Rather than just memorising the steps, I want it to come to me by instinct. As much as I hate to admit it, bollywood music is not really my type :P
I will nevertheless try my best to relate to the music, I don't intend to give up but I may just try some work around and hope that the next set of classes will have the music that I can relate to.

I am taking this as a new experience and will certainly complete this challenge. The trainers are pretty good. Especially the girl who has a good sense of humour (saves the day) and makes it easier. Oh..how could I forget, the warm up sessions have the kinda music that appeal to my ears and I am thankful for that!!

And by the way, I love Indian Instrumental Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by :)